This is a blog for people to discuss what they are eating. There is a theory that by journaling eating habits, people will eat healthier. I am trying to cook more at home and feed my family a wider variety of foods. People can just read or join as co-authors. Topics don't have to be recipes with nice photos. You can write about eating habits, special diets, culinary cultural differences, etc.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

SKW's Mac-n-Cheese

This was the main dish for our supper on Monday night:

Very Good Mac n Cheese
1 pound whole grain elbow macaroni
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup 1% milk
1 cup Fat-free half & half
2 eggs
2 T olive oil or butter
1 T Hot sauce
Freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook elbows to al dente, drain and pour into baking dish (13x9in.)
In 2 qt. saucepan, beat eggs, mix in remaining ingredients, except cheese.
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to thicken. Stir in the grated cheese, a little bit at a time, until it is all melted (reserve a handful for topping).
Pour this sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and shake gently to settle.
Sprinkle reserved cheese over the top.
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

Serve with a side salad or fresh fruit like apples or melon, something that goes good with cheese. Okay... if you insist, you can serve a bit of meat with this... pork chops go nicely.




Before going in the oven.

I know that mac n cheese is not considered a "healthy" meal, but I think I have made this just about as healthy as it can be made (and still have a good texture and flavor). Mac n cheese is a "comfort food", and it should be comforting. This one has the classic flavor of the dish many of us remember from childhood with a lot of the fat cut out of it. I still would not recommend eating this all the time, but once in a while... oh yeah. :-)



Out of the oven and into my tummy...

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Chaki said...

Looks great SKW!! Like the idea of using eggs instead of flour to bind it together.

But I'm afraid Pam's rice cooker mac and cheese is now my family standard. I have it perfected now. It is ridiculously easy for great taste!

January 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM

 
Blogger Arsenette said...

Totally sucks I like the fake stuff.. I've tried real and for some reason I don't like the taste.. bleh.. Still looks good :) Hubby would probably drool at this recipe..

January 29, 2009 at 8:37 PM

 
Blogger snowy said...

I'm another one of those Phillistines who only like the mac-n-cheez-in-a-box, the more generic the brand the better. Go figure, I don't like real cheese much, but I adore fake powdered cheese.

January 30, 2009 at 8:04 AM

 
Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Hey, the fake stuff can be good. I detest the Kraft brand tho. Anything kraft is just plain nasty. Their cheese, their box foods... all of it. Nasty. Store brand rules on boxed mac n cheese!

yep, I did say that. :)

January 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM

 
Blogger Arsenette said...

I'm one of those freaky weirdos that loves Velvetta Shells and Cheese :p (LMAO snowy on Phillistines) I think it's the gooey cheese (or pseudo cheese..) in a packet that I like.. for some odd reason I can't get into the powdered stuff.. you'd think with my fascination for processed food I'd totally go hog wild over it..

January 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM

 
Blogger PASTURKEY said...

Nice and pratic,easy...i want to try it....thanks...come to my blog there wait you 1 surprise for u....

January 31, 2009 at 12:29 PM

 
Blogger Khalil Alsalman said...

I like macaroni, this recipe is new to me, I will tell my wife about it (she is a good cook), my kids almost like all varieties of macaroni.

February 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home