This is a blog for people to discuss what they are eating. There is a theory that by journaling eating habits, people will eat healthier. I am trying to cook more at home and feed my family a wider variety of foods. People can just read or join as co-authors. Topics don't have to be recipes with nice photos. You can write about eating habits, special diets, culinary cultural differences, etc.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Poor Man's Crab Cakes





This came from Paula Deen's January/February 2009 magazine so it's not original to me. You can't beat real crab cakes but this comes close. Take a bite, close your eyes and let the faint taste of Old Bay seasoning fool your taste buds. Probably will add more Old Bay next time for for right now, I'm going to enjoy these for dinner.

Sorry the top picture is a little fuzzy, it's not your eyes and don't adjust your glasses.


1 1/2 sups shredded zucchini squeezed dry (about 1 large)

1 cup Panko bread crumbs

2 T grated onion

2 T all-purpose flour

1 T mayonnaise

1 t Old Bay seasoning

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Vegetable oil for frying

Garnish: sour cream, sliced cherry tomatoes


In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients. Add eggs, stirring to combine. Shape mixture into small patties (about 10 per batch).

In a large skillet, pour enough oil to make a thin layer in bottom of skillet. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook patties in hot oil (has to be hot or crab cakes will soak up the oil), in batches if necessary, for about 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Garnish with sour cream and tomatoes, if desired. Serve immediately.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Chaki said...

Wow. Interesting. I kept looking for at least the fake crab stuff but there is only zucchini!!! May try it for a party with vegetarians. I have many Indian friends who are. I think of them as zucchini potato cakes. The sour cream, yum.

January 18, 2009 at 3:18 PM

 
Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Looks deilicious, snowy. I will be trying these this summer. For myself, only. The man will not even try them, I know already. Thomas may. But personally, I think I will love them and I won't mind having them all for myself. :)

January 18, 2009 at 3:54 PM

 
Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Ack! And I called you snowy! Well... you know who you are. Sorry. :)

January 18, 2009 at 4:50 PM

 
Blogger snowy said...

those look really good, Tricia. Mine didn't turn out so well. Didn't use enough binder and made the cakes too big.

January 18, 2009 at 5:19 PM

 
Blogger Arsenette said...

I wouldn't even begin to realize how this tastes! I'm not a big zuchini fan but having never tasted this I can't knock it at all :) Presentation is cute though :D

January 18, 2009 at 6:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home