This is a blog for people to discuss what they are eating. There is a theory that by journaling eating habits, people will eat healthier. I am trying to cook more at home and feed my family a wider variety of foods. People can just read or join as co-authors. Topics don't have to be recipes with nice photos. You can write about eating habits, special diets, culinary cultural differences, etc.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Fantasy Fudge




Shock!!! I'm finally posting something. First time so please be gentle with me.


Where do I start....fudge has been a part of my life for a long time. I only use one recipe and change the flavor of the chips, extracts and additional ingredients to make the various types. This is the old recipe for Fantasy Fudge, the new one on the back of some of the marshmallow cream jars is NOT what you use. No thermometer needed, easy and if you want to give a whole pan away as gifts, use the aluminum pans (shallow) with lids. Think they're labeled for cakes. Fits perfectly. It's the perfect Christmas gift - most people don't make candy and they think you're a cooking genius.
From left: butterscotch, coconut and chocolate.
Enjoy!



Fantasy Fudge

3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine (stick and a half)
2/3 cup evaporated milk (5 oz can)
12 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
7 oz. jar marshmallow cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts OR pecans - optional

In a 2-quart saucepan (non stick is great) on medium high heat, bring sugar, butter, and milk to a rolling boil. Stir occasionally to keep it from scorching. Reduce heat to medium low for 5 minutes, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in chips and vanilla until blended. If all the chips don't melt, it's OK. Add marshmallow cream, stir until blended. Add nuts. Pour into a greased 13" X 9" X 2" pan (non stick spray works great). Cool to room temperature before slicing.

I change the flavor of the chips, extracts and the optional things to make things different.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger pamwax said...

And the coconut fudge is too dye for. I ate the whole thing myself. Well maybe I let Neil and Danielle have 1 piece.

I am going to resist making it for awhile. I am going to try and be good for a month. See how that works.

January 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM

 
Blogger Arsenette said...

As a bearer of coconut fudge.. I LOVE THE FUDGE! Thanks for posting and hope it wasn't too traumatizing experience. Would love to see more posts!

LOL Pam :) I"m still recovering from sugar rush.. I'm a salt person myself.. meanwhile hubby is trying to find more sugar ...

January 1, 2009 at 4:12 PM

 
Blogger Chaki said...

Good girl Tricia. Do you just use coconut flakes and replace that with the chocolate chips?? The coconut one is the ones that gets you marshals in shorts giving you rides home right??

January 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM

 
Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Fantastic stuff, tricia. Love the post, too. Was wonderful to receive fudge that I didn't make myself. :)

Hope you will be posting more from now on.

January 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM

 
Blogger tricia said...

For coconut, use vanilla chips and add about a cup of coconut and a cup of chopped nuts (optional). Used coconut extract also.

The marshals got coconut and chocolate. I keep them happy.

January 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home