This is a blog for people to discuss what they are eating. There is a theory that by journaling eating habits, people will eat healthier. I am trying to cook more at home and feed my family a wider variety of foods. People can just read or join as co-authors. Topics don't have to be recipes with nice photos. You can write about eating habits, special diets, culinary cultural differences, etc.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My adaptation of Holly's cooking...

This is how my version of Holly's Burmese chicken turned out. (Roti was too ambitious for me, and we don't really like beans enough for the sambar)

http://chaki-whatscooking.blogspot.com/2008/11/sambar-roti.html
I am certain it tastes different but the beauty with curries and soups is you really can't go wrong. My curries are mild to be palatable to the kids. Rio loves curry but hates tomato anything and this has plenty of tomato taste which is why I love it. The tanginess balances well with the heavy coconut flavor.


Now we do actually make various curries often. Mostly my husband enjoys making them. But rarely do we try an extra side dish. But Holly's spicy potatoes were too tempting and easy not to try. Mine turned out more like Indian mashed potatoes but still, with the right seasoning, it was very tasty. Rio loved it, Reina didn't. The kid doesn't like mashed potatoes in any form... maybe if I make it crunchier like Indian hash browns...


I had been wanting to make this meal because I had bought ten frozen naans at a school bazaar food fair and wanted to use them. Kids loved the frozen naan with slabs of butter melted and cheese. I would like to try Holly's roti recipe next time. It is not the type of meal you can just whip up, especially if you are not used to cooking Indian. For me, it will be a leisurely weekend dinner. Still, Hiroshi declared it was the best meal he's had in a long time. My gratitude goes to Holly...


4 Comments:

Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

I am soooo glad you tried this out and enjoyed it. This is one of mine and Thomas' most favorite meals in the whole wide world. Our version of "comfort food". :)

December 23, 2008 at 10:55 AM

 
Blogger Arsenette said...

Wow nice ambitious meal! And yes both versions look tasty :D LOL Figures a husband would say something like that.. Gotta give it to Hiro to make such a blunt statement :p

December 23, 2008 at 12:07 PM

 
Blogger Chaki said...

It was actually one of the only meals I've cooked for my husband in quite a while. We've been so busy on the weekends, it's either eating out or something simple.

And shock to everyone -- my husband rarely eats dinner at home on the weekdays. It's very typical Tokyo living. I remember as a newlywed, my boss treating me to sushi one night because his business dinner was cancelled and if he suddenly showed up at home, his wife would be annoyed at having to make dinner for him!!!

December 23, 2008 at 5:07 PM

 
Blogger tricia said...

Maybe you could take the mashed potatoes, form little patties and then pan fry them? That might work.

December 23, 2008 at 8:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home