This is a blog for people to discuss what they are eating. There is a theory that by journaling eating habits, people will eat healthier. I am trying to cook more at home and feed my family a wider variety of foods. People can just read or join as co-authors. Topics don't have to be recipes with nice photos. You can write about eating habits, special diets, culinary cultural differences, etc.

Monday, December 1, 2008

FOOD DIARY - Chicken Teriyaki Rolls

Hubby made me Chicken Teriyaki Rolls on Friday after Thanksgiving :)
.
This was our second attempt. Came out a little better (the rice) but we are still missing "something".. no wonder traditional Japanese sushi apprentices take 5 years just doing rice before they are allowed to make anything else..

Hubby mixing in the vinegar into the rice.. we got a bowl for this.. last time it was a clump disaster.. this time did a bit better.. still not right though but just like last time.. a yummy experiment!

Because I much prefer the rice outside he obliged and did it for me :)

We used a Teriyaki mix instead of doing that from scratch. Still it came out really good! I even ate the extra chicken that we didn't shove in the rolls! At the end we had more rice than one roll but not enough for two so hubby made one big one with the nori on the OUTSIDE... he was getting tired. Awwww

This is what it looked like doing the last of the rolls. One giant roll :)

He hates cutting the sushi though.. doesn't slide well.. he thinks he didn't use enough water on the knife.. since these knives are ridiculously sharp.. I don't use those..

My plate on the left and his on the right. This is our uber coffee table in the living room and our brand spaking new plates :D Note something I didn't notice until much later.. check out the reflection at the top of the glass table.. Go Ninja Warrior LOL

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chaki said...

LOL about the reflection. Don is a gem. You sure snagged yourself a good one. Looks amazing on those snazzy dishes. Black makes everything look nouveau cuisine.

About getting sushi rice right. Do you put in sugar and dashi with your vinegar? If measuring is a pain, then buy "powdered sushi vinegar." Cannot go wrong with that.

December 2, 2008 at 12:44 AM

 
Blogger pamwax said...

I wish I had a husband that could cook something other then scrambled eggs. Elsie you are a lucky girl.

December 2, 2008 at 6:04 AM

 
Blogger Arsenette said...

ooooooh... you add more things to the sushi rice? Hm.. going to have to check what he puts in it.. I think it's just seasoned rice vinegar and that's it.. I'll mention this to him :)

Teheheh thanks gals :) This guy has me ridiculously spoiled. This of course was made after I conked my head so he's been cooking a lot more often lately..

I just find it funny... he decided to do this and said "oh I think your camera is in the computer room" before even asking me if I was going to blog about it! LOL

December 2, 2008 at 12:00 PM

 
Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Wow! What a find your guy is, Elsie! You are lucky. My guy is cooking pinto beans tomorrow. Does that count? He makes really good ones. I almost always make refried beans with them, tho. We eat lots of mexican and tex mex In fact, that's what we had for supper tonight.

December 5, 2008 at 9:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home