This is a blog for people to discuss what they are eating. There is a theory that by journaling eating habits, people will eat healthier. I am trying to cook more at home and feed my family a wider variety of foods. People can just read or join as co-authors. Topics don't have to be recipes with nice photos. You can write about eating habits, special diets, culinary cultural differences, etc.

Monday, November 17, 2008

RECIPE - The Ultimate Comfort Food..Made Easy


I probably won't post much about cooking because I try not to cook. This is the easy way to make Mac and Cheese. Several months ago I bought a Wolfgang Puck 7qt. rice steamer. In the instruction book there is a recipe for this mac & cheese. It does call for heavy cream but I make it with 2% to save on calories because I always add extra cheese ... we all know how I love cheese.

1 1/2 C. elbow macaroni
1 1/2 C. chicken broth
good quality chicken bouillon cube
1 C. heavy cream
3/4 C. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 C. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 C. shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. kosher salt

1. Combine macaroni, broth and cream in rice cooker. Press cook. Stir occasionally. I discovered that when I use the 2% it boils over so I add it a little at a time while it is cooking to prevent the mess.

2. When machine switches to Keep Warm, add remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly until cheese is melted.

3. Press Cook again. When cooker switches to keep warm let is sit for a minute. This is when the top turns a pretty crunchy brown.

YUM YUM

7 Comments:

Blogger Chaki said...

Hey Pam, cool. I have a rice cooker! Kids love mac and cheese to death. Simple and yummy! Unbeatable. Thanks.

November 18, 2008 at 1:13 AM

 
Blogger Arsenette said...

Wow never thought of making it in a rice cooker.. hm.. have to show hubby this :) Thanks Pam!

November 18, 2008 at 12:23 PM

 
Blogger Chaki said...

Pam, my rice cooker is different. How long does yours do cook for? It seems awfully long to do cook twice on mine... But I WANT that crunchy brown top!!!

November 19, 2008 at 3:51 AM

 
Blogger merimask said...

Pam, that looks awesome! Rice cooker = really cool idea.

My mom makes a similar recipe and adds bread crumbs to the top, which ensures a crunchy brown crust! Not exactly health food but Oh boy, we loved her Mac & Cheese...

November 19, 2008 at 5:37 AM

 
Blogger Anna said...

Pam, I'm drooling!!!! This looks soooo good. Cheese is good for the soul (or at least that's what I say to justify my addiction)!

November 19, 2008 at 7:34 AM

 
Blogger pamwax said...

Chaki after you put the cheese in my rice cooker it only stays on cook for maybe a minute and then switches to warm. While the macaroni is cooking I have to stir it once in awhile so it doesn't brown to much.

November 19, 2008 at 3:38 PM

 
Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Yummy, mac and cheese. Thomas made mac and cheese from scratch for our Thanksgiving Feast. He did a really great job, it was the best part of the meal. I'll have to show him your recipe, Pam. I bet he'll want to try it, asap.

December 6, 2008 at 9:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home