This is a blog for people to discuss what they are eating. There is a theory that by journaling eating habits, people will eat healthier. I am trying to cook more at home and feed my family a wider variety of foods. People can just read or join as co-authors. Topics don't have to be recipes with nice photos. You can write about eating habits, special diets, culinary cultural differences, etc.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Two Tricks

Hey all,

Now that the holidays are upon us, I thought I would pass on a nifty trick my MIL told me about a few years ago.

I love homemade Red Velvet Cake. I get one every year from my MIL as a birthday cake and even at holidays, she makes one for me.

The only bad thing about Red Velvet Cake..It's bitter.

No matter if it is made homemade or not..It's bitter.

Her way around that..

When you mix the cake batter, add a tablespoon of mayo. The Mayo exits out the bitterness, which is the food coloring in the mixes. You can't tell the mayo is there. It's great.


Second trick..Again from my MIL

When you make Cornbread Muffins, add a half a cup to cup of sugar to the mixture. It makes a sweet cornmeal muffin...YUMMY!!!!!!

Reason I said half a cup to a cup, it depends on how sweet you want the muffins.

3 Comments:

Blogger Arsenette said...

As strange as it sounds I'm still getting used to this whole Thanksgiving meal thing. I didn't celebrate it until I was around hm... college age'ish.. so early 20's? I just go over my MIL's house and call it a day :)

Me no likey bitter anything.. so no velvet cake for me :(

November 17, 2008 at 5:55 PM

 
Blogger Panther said...

hence the reason for the mayo.. It cancel's out the bitterness.

November 18, 2008 at 9:31 AM

 
Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Not real keen on red velvet cake (I know, I know... I might loose my certified Southern card for admitting that, but...)

I put anywhere from a quarter to a half cup of sugar in my cornbread. My people didn't put sugar in it, but hubby likes it that way. In fact, I never liked cornbread until I started making it sweet. Do you like yours with cracklin's? Sweet buttermilk cornbread with cracklin's... ummmm, tasty.

December 6, 2008 at 7:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home