This is a blog for people to discuss what they are eating. There is a theory that by journaling eating habits, people will eat healthier. I am trying to cook more at home and feed my family a wider variety of foods. People can just read or join as co-authors. Topics don't have to be recipes with nice photos. You can write about eating habits, special diets, culinary cultural differences, etc.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Pecan Balls


Hi, everyone! My name is Desiree & I live in Richmond, BC.  I've been enjoying reading your posts and hope that I can contribute from time to time.  

The other day, I made pecan balls, to bring to my friend Anna's open house.  They're super easy and versatile.  They're from the Company's Coming cookbook series, published here in Canada.

Pecan Balls

1 cup butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup ground pecans
2 tsp. vanilla

and another 1/2 cup icing sugar to coat the balls.

You just combine the first 5 ingredients with a spoon, then by hand to work the dough until it holds.  You shpe in about 1 inch balls, then arrange on an ungreased baking sheet.  I use parchment paper though.  Bake in 325 deg F (or 160 deg C oven for about 20 minutes.  My oven tends to be a bit hot so I like to bake it just until golden brown.  This should make about 6 dozen.
As soon as the balls have cooled enough to handle, roll them in icing sugar.

They present beautifully too, if you have little round pastry cups to put them in.  I'd unfortunately ran out as I was bringing them as a gift so I couldn't show them here, I just put the left overs on a napkin to show you.

Variations: Almond - do 1 cup ground almonds instead of pecans.  Almond crescents - use 2 cups ground almonds instead of the pecans, and roll into finger-size thickness.  Cut into 2 inch lengths, then pinch ends, shaping into crescents. Hidden cherry - Cover well-drained maraschino cherries with dough.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Chaki said...

Girls, Desiree is my most awesome friend!

Oh Des, they are sooo yummy looking. Then again, never aten something made by you that wasn't the greatest. When are you going to inherit your MIL's san cerval cake recipe?? It has to come with a Eat at your Own Risk warning though. Pure sin.

January 4, 2009 at 7:24 PM

 
Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Hi Desiree, nice to meet you. This is a must try. And wouldn't you know? I have plenty of pecans left over from holiday baking. Thanks for sharing.

January 4, 2009 at 8:16 PM

 
Blogger Arsenette said...

Hey! New person :) Hihihihihihi.. o.. m.. g.. I want some of those.. mmmmmm pecans.. never had these.. I mean they look like a sugar rush waiting to happen.. mwahahhaah bring it on :) Thanks for contributing I look forward to more tasty delights! Oh SKW let me know if you do them! LOL Chaki what is cerval cake?

January 4, 2009 at 11:13 PM

 
Blogger Chaki said...

Des has to spell it correctly but it is the most sinful Filipino Christmas dessert. It's layers of crunchy walnut crispy stuff alternating with butter icing -- like pure butter and sugar, with emphasis on butter. You keep in the freezer so it lasts long and stays crispy.

They have to put an age limit on that thing! All sorts of arteries can get clogged...

People (in my family) who don't usually eat sweets find themselves drawn to the freezer like zombies cutting another slice for themselves. I was privvied to one every Christmas I spent at home. Des' MIL has the best recipe...

January 4, 2009 at 11:22 PM

 
Blogger Chaki said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 4, 2009 at 11:22 PM

 
Blogger Arsenette said...

ahahahahhahahaha Chaki :) That's a great line.. "age limit" You'd seriously feed "speed cake" to a kid? I mean.. I was hyper as it was as a child.. I can't think of being fed this .. I think I'd turn into a blur and bend space and time around me...

January 4, 2009 at 11:26 PM

 
Blogger Desiree B said...

Thanks for the welcome, Chaki, SKW, Arsenette!

The cake Carol is talking about is sans rival cake. It's a ton of work and my mom-in-law hasn't made it for years, maybe it's time for me to lobby her. LOL!

Bye for now!

January 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM

 
Blogger pamwax said...

Hello Desiree...It is so nice to meet one of Chaki's real life friends as opposed to computer friends. Pecan Balls loo very good.

January 5, 2009 at 10:35 AM

 
Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

OMG! I looked up images online:
They have two types in this gallery, http://www.sophisticakes.com.ph/gallery/cake_gallery.htm

This image looks like it could put me in a sugar coma just looking at it. http://sansrival.la/cake.html

Decadent, rich, sweet, crispy layers, butter, sounds like it would be just the kind of cake I'd like to meet.

January 5, 2009 at 10:51 AM

 
Blogger tricia said...

Love cooking with pecans so this is one going on my to do list.

Thanks for the great recipe. Welcome to the board!

January 5, 2009 at 4:30 PM

 
Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

This recipe is so similar to my melt in your mouth sugar cookie recipe. I was going to make some tonight bet didn't figure the man would appreciate me in the kitchen grinding pecans while he's trying to sleep. Printed out the recipe and will make them tomorrow. Can't wait. I KNOW I'm gonna love them. In fact, I think I may lay out enough butter to make two batches! :) I have a strong feeling these won't stay around long.

January 7, 2009 at 9:42 PM

 
Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Des, these cookies were a HUGE hit with my guys. My husband and my son both loved them. Hubby has already requested that I make another batch for him to take to work. Thanks so much for sharing this treasure with us!

January 11, 2009 at 5:43 PM

 
Blogger Some Kinda Wonderful said...

BTW, I baked these last night after they were both in bed. There are none left now, less than 24 hours later!

January 11, 2009 at 5:45 PM

 
Blogger Arsenette said...

Wow.. that's quite the thumbs up! Dangit.. I want these now LOL

January 11, 2009 at 6:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home